POSITION: Legal Assistant
LOCATION: Criminal District Attorney’s Office
Wichita County Courthouse
SUPERVISOR: Criminal District Attorney
HOURS: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday (Occasional overtime may be required.)
SALARY: $2,108.92 – $2,559.09 Per Month (Depending Upon Qualifications)
(Grade 11, Steps A – J, Wichita County Salary Classification Chart)
POSTING DATE: May 9, 2012
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
► GENERAL DESCRIPTION:
Performs all general legal assistant duties for the Civil Division of the Criminal District Attorney’s Office.
► ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Participates in managing the attorneys’ caseloads, including scheduling, prioritizing, organizing files and preparing chronologies and summaries.
- Assists in all phases of trial preparation, including setting/attending hearings, depositions, meetings, ordering records, preparing and coordinating service of subpoenas, organizing trial notebooks and exhibits and preparing witnesses for trial.
- Drafts, prepares and edits pleadings, motions, briefs, petitions, summary judgments and other legal documents for use in trials, appeals, hearings, injunctions and other agency procedures.
- Participates in coordinating discovery, including the drafting, responding and calendaring of interrogatories, requests for production, requests for admissions, and other requests for information in accordance with local, state, federal and agency rules and procedures.
- Researches and analyzes legal sources; uses computer-assisted research; prepares memoranda on research findings; shepardizes cases; checks citations, quotations, footnotes and references for accuracy.
- Develops and maintains databases for statistical and other information.
- Communicates with agency personnel, client agencies, court personnel and outside vendors.
► MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a high school graduate or equivalent (GED).
- Graduation from a course of study for legal assistants or equivalent legal experience.
- Must demonstrate strong organizational skills.
- Must have a working knowledge of office practices, procedures and their application.
- Must possess and demonstrate ability to work independently.
- Must be able to conduct self in a professional and courteous manner and effectively develop and maintain good working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, County officials and the public.
- Must have a professional telephone etiquette and possess an equal ability to handle inquires both by telephone and in person in a courteous and professional manner.
- Must be able communicate effectively with others, both verbally and in writing.
- Must be computer literate and have a working knowledge of applicable software programs.
- Must be able to type proficiently with minimal errors.
- Must be able to operate various types of office equipment such as adding machines, copiers, printers, transcription machines, facsimile machines, etc.
- Must possess and demonstrate considerable knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation, syntax and proofreading.
- Must have an understanding of basic mathematical calculations and computations.
- Must be able to maintain strict office privacy and confidentiality.
- Must be able to handle stressful situations in a professional manner.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical exam and drug test paid by Wichita County.
- Must be able to pass a thorough background investigation conducted by Wichita County.
► CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must be punctual and attend work regularly in accordance with County and Office policies and procedures.
- Must comply with all County and Office policies and procedures, including but not limited to applicable security and safety rules, regulations and standards.
- Must be dependable and of good moral character.
- Must be able to occasionally lift and move loads weighing up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The Criminal District Attorney’s Office is a non-smoking environment.
► APPLY TO:
To be considered for employment, please submit your completed Wichita County Employment Application, cover letter and resume directly to the:
Office of the Criminal District Attorney
Wichita County, Texas
ATTN: Melissa Boutwell
900 7th Street, Suite 352
Wichita Falls, Texas 76301
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: It is the policy of Wichita County to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job categories without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, or disability. It is the policy of Wichita County to consider qualified individuals according to ADA standards. If notified in advance, requested accommodations will be considered. Final reasonable accommodations will be determined in accordance with ADA standards by departments after appropriate consultation. Rejected accommodations will be documented and retained on file.
TEXAS RELAY: TDD 1-800-735-2989, VOICE 1-800-735-2988. For candidates requesting Braille, Mobility requests, etc., please call 940.766.8108. HR/ADA Compliance Office, Room 133, Wichita County Courthouse, 900 7th Street, Wichita Falls, Texas 76301.